Friday, September 29, 2006

Sewing For Ebay


Now that the weather is cool enough to be able to have the iron, the sewing machine and the serger on all at the same time I've been sewing. Halloween is coming up in a month, so it's a good time to try to sell some garb on ebay. At first I thought I'd whip a simple dress together, but somehow the plan has grown to be a more sophisticated Elizabethan gown.

I decided to use my blog to keep a sort of dress diary of the construction. I've never kept a dress diary, and this dress isn't intended to be a serious attempt at authenticity. Most of the buyers on ebay aren't looking for an accurate replica of a gown from the 16th Century. So I'm going to make this dress pretty and elegant.

First, a week ago, I went through my fabric stash and pulled out stuff that I had bought intending to make myself something but never have. It was hard to choose, because every fabric I pulled out made me say "Ooh, I bought that for an Italian Renn (or Tudor, or cotehardie). But I finally settled on a very nice silvery green damask like fabric with darker green motifs woven into it. I had green cotton for lining, and a seafoam green satin for the underskirt, and a some really nice dark green velvet for sleeves and trim. See the picture? Aren't those great colors?

The dress has begun!

No comments: