Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Gimli Was Great

I always have a great time at Gimli but I think this year was the best yet. Too bad I forgot my camera. The new Baby was there and her parents forgot to bring any hats for her so I quick knitted a little hat on Friday night. It was made out of a thick bright teal wool and mohair yarn, so it didn't *look* like it should have been a baby hat, and it looked a little dorky, but it was a cute sort of dorky. It was plenty warm during the day (the feast hall was a sauna!) but at night and in the morning the breeze off the lake was pretty nippy. I guess it's a little strange, but I kinda like getting up at 3 am and wrapping up in a cloak to walk to the bathroom. And then crawling through the bed curtains and snuggling back into bed afterwards. For me it must be a sort of "magic moment" although it was more likely that in period they would have used a chamber pot or the garderobe. Ew!

I taught a sock knitting class so the Baby received a couple baby socks too. I wasn't surpised that Ceri caught on right away, but I was pretty impressed with Ravenna, who hadn't knitted since she was eight, and had never purled, or decreased before.

The only thing that would have made the weekend better would have been seeing more friends, some of whom had to cancel due to money or passport issues, and others were having fun at Travis and Jen's wedding.

Now it's back to work. We are once again strongly encouraged to put in 10 hours of overtime a week, although we are not required to put in more than five. Sigh. Well, it means some larger paychecks, and that's always a plus. And it's only thru Sept 30. So if I can just hold on that long, I can have Meritcare Clinic, Mayo Clinic and one of my credit cards completely paid off by by October 15. Well maybe not one of the credit cards. Still, I'll be furtbner ahead than I was. It just means I don't get to go to Coronation this weekend, or CeCil's Siege, and that's a bummer.

No comments: