Sunday, August 12, 2007

Marvelous Day!

I woke up this morning at 7, stared blearily at the clock and rolled over and went back to sleep until 8:30 when the cats demanded breakfast. It was a blissfully cool 59 degrees. I staggered out of bed and fed the cats, then jumped into the shower to wash my hair and shave my legs. I sat in my chair and stared at the History channel while I shovelled in Raisin Bran. As I sat there I thought "Do I really need to go to church?" I would have to cut out early anyway to get to my mom's by 11:30. My two brothers who live in town were going over there too for lunch. I felt slightly guilty, but I decided to skip church. So I sat happily in my chair and knitted until it was time to go to my Mom's.

Hamburgers were great. And my oldest brother has a peach tree that had a bumper crop this year, so we ate those for dessert. I doubt that peach trees are all that common in North Dakota, but I could be wrong. These peaches were quite small but very juicy and soft, and so sweet they didn't need sugar. Yum. Then all four of us (me, my mom -who could care less about baseball- my older brother Steve and my youngest brother Robb) headed out for the RedHawks baseball game. It was a good game. The opposing pitcher took a no-hitter into the 9th inning. Our pitcher did a decent job, but gave up 6 hits that translated into 4 runs. Then we had a very exciting rally in the bottom of the Ninth, with some close plays. We got 2 runs, which was exciting, and lost by 2 runs which was disappointing. Still, a very good game. The weather continued to be cool, probably in the mid 70s, with a light breeze and overcast skies, so that was nice too.

As soon as the game was over I drove immediately to Island Park to hear the Jazz In The Park Concert. I got there about 15 minutes after it started and had a bit of trouble lugging my chair, blanket, purse, knitting bag and two bottles of water from the parking lot, through the park to where my friends had set up their chairs. Boy, I could tell right away that they weren't my SCA friends, because not a one of them offered to help me get my stuff settled. I had called from the parking lot to ask where they were set up, and one came out to lead me in, and never even offered to carry any of my stuff. Hm. Like I said, I could tell right away that this was not an SCA event... But it was a really nice concert. I liked all the music, especially the first band (I missed half their set, pooh). The park was beautiful

And now I'm home, kinda tired but still so happy that I had such a good day. I'm really bad about getting out to see friends and doing things with them. This is something that my counselor tells me I need to find a "happy balance" of. Some time for me, and some time for friends and things outside me. I tend to be a home body and once I get home from work I'm too tired to want to go out. I am one of those people that enjoys my own company and I can happily spend days at home reading or writing or knitting. But when my friends do things without me I tend to feel left out and pout. Which makes no sense, really, since when my friends call me up and invite me over I often say thanks but I'm too tired.

But this weekend I've been a good girl. Yesterday I spent several hours devouring Stephenie Meyer's latest book Eclipse, (that counts for "me" time) then had a church friend and her daughter come over in the evening to work on a knitting problem, and then out all day today. See? Balance.

I'm bushed!

No comments: